Sunday, February 6, 2011

Thing a Day 5: Texas Instruments MSP430 Launchpad


Today's thing is a bit difficult to provide media for, so I simply took a picture of what I'm working with.

I've tinkered with the Arduino for months now, including the projects for the first and fourth Thing a Day. The Arduino is an excellent microcontroller -- essentially an entire (but extremely simple) computer on a single chip -- including features such as open source, easy to use, robust, and well supported by the community. However, there are many, many other platforms out there, and one of them is the Texas Instruments MSP430.

The MSP430 is extremely cheap -- $4.50 for a dev board to the Arduino's $30 -- and low power, but it's also less powerful as a platform. In order to broaden my horizons, I grabbed three, assembled the one in the picture with some really quick soldering, and am currently waiting for the software to set up so I can start hacking on it tomorrow.

So: today's Thing is setting up everything to let me program the MSP430 chips. You'll simply have to make do with what almost looks like an advertisement for a picture. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment