Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thing a Day 19: Basecoating Fun


Despite focusing on electronics for the past 18 Things, there _is_ something else I do in my workroom. It involves plastic miniatures, superglue, paint, and a completely separate workspace. For today's Thing, I took it upon myself to do something I've been slacking on: I basecoated some minis.

When painting miniatures with acrylic paint, the paint tends to bead up due to surface tension, and will be prone to chipping over time. The best way to prevent this is by basecoating the mini with a neutral color, usually via spraypaint. Spraypaint adheres to the mini far better, is much faster than a brush, and prevents the later acrylic paint from beading.

So, today, I taped together a cardboard box to protect my porch and started spraying some models that have been waiting for the chance. Maybe next I'll dust off my brushes and actually get to slinging paint. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment