Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thing a Day 23: Quick (Very Quick) and Dirty Lockpicking



For today's trick, I will pick a cheap lock three times in 45 seconds. No, really.

It's been almost half a year since I've held a lockpick in my hands, so it feels good to use them again. Unfortunately, I was a beginner half a year ago, so I'm nearly retarded today. Fortunately, half a year ago, I bought a horrendously cheap lock that will at least boost my confidence.

As evidenced by the fact that I picked it three times in 45 seconds.

It's worth mentioning, however, that the technique I'm using to pick this lock is called raking. Raking is somewhat like the brute forcing of lock picking. You might accomplish something, but you won't learn as much, and it definitely won't be that easy on a better lock. It is a skill that's useful, though -- and I've noticed that my raking skills improved on the cheapy lock as I practiced.

No comments:

Post a Comment