Friday, February 25, 2011

Thing a Day 25: Homemade Lockpick Part 2


And so it continues.

As soon as I got home, I busted out the tungsten carbide bit and Dremel and started shaping the pick. I figured that if I could the loud noises out of the way earlier on in the day, I'd be less of an inconvenience to my neighbor.

Of course, I've never even seen the person in the apartment above me, so I have no idea if they're raging about my noisiness or completely ignorant of it. What I do know is that the pick is coming along nicely. I managed to get the inner curve of the pick well shaped with the carbide bit in a short amount of time, which gave me a comfortable amount of time to try polishing the sharp and rough edges. A bit of high speed sanding and some polishing with 600-grit sandpaper gave it quite the smooth finish.

One problem: Metal. Bits. Everywhere. None of the material I removed came off in a clean chunk; it sprayed off as tiny bits of sharp metal. I had to scrub my arms as soon as I was done, else the metal dust between my fingers would've driven me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment