Friday, February 4, 2011

Thing a Day 4: Wireless Communication


Despite taking a few hours, this Thing is extremely simple to describe: I press a button on the right and a light on the left lights up.

Normally this project would be the first thing anyone breaking into electronics would do -- press button, turn on light. However, the light was simply an indicator to me that I was doing something else: making electronics communicate wirelessly. While there's a power plug running to the microcontroller on the right, the microcontroller on the left is completely self contained and is receiving information from the right by that blue wireless chip (known as an XBee) at the top of the screen.

This demo is a bit of a gateway drug. Now that I've worked out the kinks, I can start doing interesting things like wireless temperature sensors in my apartment. =D

1 comment: