Friday, February 4, 2011

Thing a Day 3: Solder Fume Extractor

Third thing, first failure!

This time, I set out to make a quick solder fume extractor. For anyone who's soldered, you'll know that the smoke that comes out is quite bad for you. The flux (rosin) that creates the smoke is exists to clean the metal surfaces of the parts you're soldering -- so despite its pleasant smell, it isn't a good thing to be breathing.

People who solder should always have a fume extractor, something I lacked. So, in classic "I can handle this!" fashion, I decided to take an old subwoofer enclosure, a 12V PC fan, and an A/C filter. After hacking it together with two screws and duct tape, I have what barely passes as a solder fume extractor. It's leaky, ugly, and the airflow is really bad.

A new one purchased from Amazon is $20, which is about what it'd cost to make this one work correctly and make it look decent. I might use it until I buy one from Amazon, but this hunk will end up disassembled or in the trash heap.


No comments:

Post a Comment