Monday, February 28, 2011

Thing a Day 27: A Little Pushback


Usually I have a clear idea of what I could do with a Thing that I build. Not so much with this one.

It's still cool, though.

What I accomplished, though, is attaching a flex sensor to a motor. When you flex the sensor, the motor reacts by jamming itself toward your hand -- usually bending the sensor some more, which makes the motor shove forward even more.

Fortunately for my hand, the entire setup is pretty shaky. Cardboard arm attached to a nylon motor arm with a piece of crimped wire, gently held in a vice so I don't crush the entire thing.. Also, the motor stops pushing if you stop flexing the sensor. Maybe that means that the sensor should be called a flexing sensor.

Anyway, I like it. If you poke the sensor just right, it flips out. If you poke it gently or too roughly, it'll twitch a little. Just like -- wait, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment